Monday, September 15, 2014

My Interview with Author N.L.Hoffmann









Sassy:  What got you into writing / what made you sit down and actually start something?

Author  N.L.Hoffmann : When I was younger I wasn't very popular in school. So, I decided to start writing to create my own world of people. It was easier to escape reality by writing. My Mom and Dad always encouraged me to explore the things I enjoyed the most. In middle school I was hand writing full novels, but about three years ago I completed Blood Slaves, book 1 to The Daughters of Darkness Series. It took me up until January of this year to gather up enough courage to publish it.


Sassy:   Are you a planner/panster when it comes to writing a story?

Author   N.L.Hoffmann  : I don't gather too many details when I start to write because it just ruins it for me. I never bother following the exact outline. Plus, I find that I write better when I just let it flow. I don't actually know the ending until I already started writing the book. Sometimes I have an idea, but it's not written in stone.



Sassy:   What has been your highlight since becoming a published author?  

Author  
N.L.Hoffmann : The people I have met. There have been amazing authors that have been supportive through my entire learning. Then finding out that people actually like my writing was just a happy moment for me.

Sassy:    What do you do in your spare time?

Author   N.L.Hoffmann : Write mainly. Spend time with my kids, prank my husband, debate on the next pranks...

Sassy:   Do you get writers block? If so, how do you overcome it?

Author   N.L.Hoffmann: Sometimes I do. Usually I listen to some music, but it helps just to try and start writing to see where it goes. That usually solves mine.

Sassy:   Can you share a little of your most recent book or series with us?




Author   N.L.Hoffmann : Shadow Cursed is my newest release as of August 1. It is about the sister of Blake who is in book 1. Jacey is a U.S. Marshal who suddenly gets thrown into the supernatural world by discovering she is this powerful being known as a Shadow. She has to overcome a lot in a hurry and that includes tapping into her new abilities in order to save her people. Shadows are beings that can manipulate the darkness / shadows.

Sassy:   What advice would you give for new authors?

Author  N.L.Hoffmann : You need to communicate with people. Readers, bloggers, other authors, and many other people. Communication is what seems to be the key in getting yourself out there. Well, other than writing your novel and publishing it. If you are shy like me it takes a lot to put yourself out there. Your writing is a part of you so putting it out there is like exposing a piece of yourself.

Sassy:  What is one thing about yourself you want your readers to know?

Author  N.L.Hoffmann : I love to talk to people. And I am weird. Borderline creepy weird. I am also immature and tend to be amused by small things.

Sassy:    Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?

 Author   N.L.Hoffmann: Darynda Jones is my favorite author next to Robyn Peterman and Dakota Cassidy who are all very talented ladies. I love the humor they include in their books. For me to laugh while reading is a big deal.

Sassy:  What books have most influenced your life most?
Author   N.L.Hoffmann : The Black Stallion and Black Beauty. I had an obsession with horses and those books always kept me happy.

Sassy:    Would you or do you use a PR agency? Why?

Author   N.L.Hoffmann : I guess I would if I knew they would be dedicated as much as I try to be.

Sassy:   What is your favourite positive saying?

Author   N.L.Hoffmann : I guess you can't live a positive life with a negative mind. Basically, if you constantly thing negatively about everything your life isn't going to improve. You won't have the motivation to do what needs to be done or at least done to the best of your ability.
Sassy:   Do you write full-time or part-time?

Author  
 N.L.Hoffmann : I write as much as I can. I work full-time and I have my family. So I aim to write almost every night and every weekend. It's a job I enjoy!



Sassy:  Who designed your book cover/s?
Author   N.L.Hoffmann : Heather Hamilton-Senter from Book Cover Artistry. She is actually an author as well!
Sassy:  Do you think that the cover plays an important part in the buying process?
Author  N.L.Hoffmann: I have learned the answer to that is YES. People do judge a book by its cover.
Sassy:  What are your thoughts on good/bad reviews?
 Author  N.L.Hoffmann: I think reviews are a way for readers to know if it a novel they will like to read. Helpful reviews can assist an author into fixing or improving their writing. If we don't get helpful feedback, we won't know there are issues. There have been some bad and upsetting reviews that I have seen where the author has been insulted directly. I think with the Internet people forget there are people behind those computer screens with feelings.
Sassy:  What is your biggest pet peeve?
Author  N.L.Hoffmann: Weird, random things I guess. Sometimes I include them in my writing because I might be experiencing that pet peeve at that moment.
Sassy:  Tell us about your family.
Author   N.L.Hoffmann: I have been married for almost 6 years now. I have three kids, one boy and two girls. Now that they are basically teenagers life has been pretty interesting. Even with my youngest I am shocked with the way they view the world.
Sassy:   Does your family support your writing?
Author N.L.Hoffmann : Yes, they do. I have always had family behind me. My husband took some convincing but it was nice to see the shock on his face when I finally actually did it.
Sassy:  What is your favorite recipe?Please include it.
Author   N.L.Hoffmann : My mom and dad made this all the time. The recipe may be a little different but this is so good!

(Jaeger Schnitzel)

INGREDIENTS

boneless pork chops
1/2 
 cup all-purpose flour
teaspoon salt
large eggs, beaten
3/4 
cup Plain Breadcrumbs
ounces button mushrooms, sliced
 
tablespoons butter
 tablespoons all-purpose flour
14.5 ounce can beef broth
Salt 
and freshly ground black pepper

DIRECTIONS

  • Place the pork chops between two sheets of plastic wrap and pound them with the flat side of a meat tenderizer until they're 1/4 inch thick. Sprinkle lightly with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Set aside.
  • If using fresh mushrooms, heat a teaspoon or so of olive oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat and add the mushrooms. Cook until the mushrooms have released their juices and the liquid is mostly evaporated. Transfer the mushrooms to a plate and set aside.
  • In the same skillet, melt the butter, add the flour, and whisk until the flour is dissolved. Continue to whisk constantly until the mixture is a rich, deep golden brown, about 3-4 minutes.
  • Slowly add the beef broth, whisking constantly, until combined. Return the mushrooms to the skillet. If using canned mushrooms, you'll add them at this point. Bring the gravy to a simmer, reduce to low, and simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes or until the gravy is thickened. Season with salt and pepper.
  • While the gravy is simmering let's get back to the Schnitzel. Working quickly, dip the chops in the flour, the egg, and the breadcrumbs. Don't press the breadcrumbs into the meat. Coat gently but thoroughly, and gently shake off the excess crumbs. Make sure the cooking oil is hot enough at this point (about 280 degrees F) as you don't want the Schnitzel to sit around in the coating for long before frying.
  • Fry the Schnitzel for about 2-3 minutes on both sides. When they're a deep golden brown, transfer them to a plate that's lined with paper towels. Serve immediately with the mushroom gravy and your choice of sides.
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HoffmannNL
Twitter: https://twitter.com/NLHoffmann
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/nlhoffmann/
Amazon Author Page: amazon.com/author/nlhoffmann
Book Links: (* American, UK, etc.)
Blood Slaves
Google Play: http://bit.ly/blslav5 
Shadow Cursed
Page Foundery: http://bit.ly/shadowc3
Google Play: http://bit.ly/V8nK6C

No comments:

Post a Comment