Monday, September 22, 2014

My Interview with Author Jennifer Theriot




Sassy: What got you into writing / what made you sit down and actually start something?

Author Jennifer THERIOT: I'm an avid romance reader and I had just read the Fifty Shades trilogy. A light went off in my head and I realized that all of the romance novels out there (or 90% of them) are about younger women - not women my age. I started thinking that I could write a book and I discussed it with two of my closest friends. They actually dared me to do it!

Sassy: Are you a planner/panster when it comes to writing a story?

Author Jennifer THERIOT : I pretty much wing it. Whatever my characters tell me on a certain day is what I write. I do have an overall plot, but situations and certain scenes are dictated by what my characters say or a song I hear.

Sassy: What has been your highlight since becoming a published author?

Author Jennifer THERIOT : I'd have to say interacting with and meeting my readers. I met one lady at a Houston signing recently and she showed me her James Avery necklace (which coincidentally is the same necklace Lainey gives Olivia in my book). She was so excited to show it to me and it made me smile the biggest smile! I'm humbled when someone asks to take a picture with me. And having readers say how much my book has influenced their life - made them feel better about themselves, or how much they enjoyed the story just makes my heart happy:)

Sassy: What do you do in your spare time?

Author Jennifer THERIOT : Spare time? What is that??? ;)  Seriously, I love spending spare time with my wonderful family! I have 3 grown kids and 3 grandkids. We recently bought a travel trailer and have it parked on a lot at the Colorado River. Weekends at the trailer with the kiddos is the BEST! It’s my chance to enjoy some quality down time...

Sassy: Do you get writers block? If so, how do you overcome it?

Author Jennifer THERIOT : I get writer's block all the time! To overcome it, I'll put my earbuds in and start listening to music. Music has a way of pulling you out of a funk and jump starting your creative juices (for me anyway)

Sassy: Can you share a little of your most recent book or series with us?



Author Jennifer THERIOT : I've just finished a novella from Todd's POV (the pierced, tatted up Adam Levine-esque character in my books). It's called Toccata Obbligato ~ Serenading Kyra. I'm also working on the 3rd book in my Out of the Box Series, called Out of the Box Everlasting and it will be out in early 2015.

Sassy: What advice would you give for new authors?

Author Jennifer THERIOT : 1. Have a professional design your cover. 2. Find a good beta reader - someone you trust and who will be brutally honest with you. 3. Have your manuscript edited 4. Hire a proofreader 5. Be diligent and patient.

Sassy: What is one thing about yourself you want your readers to know?

Author Jennifer THERIOT : I love to have fun...I never take life too seriously and I don't think there's anyone I have to impress (besides God and he's not on this earth)
Sassy : Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?
Author Jennifer THERIOT : Okay, I'm dating myself but I would have to say Jacqueline Susann. I looooooved Valley of the Dolls. She was cutting edge back in the day and her writing style is amazing!!!!

Sassy: What books have most influenced your life most?

Author Jennifer THERIOT : (Besides the Bible) ....This is going to sound funny, but I'm gonna say Life's Little Instruction books. Each one of them has such profound little messages. I have one on the beds in my guest rooms for people to read and enjoy. I also loved "The Fall of Freddie the Leaf" by Leo Buscaglia. I read it after my mother passed away. It's a great little story about the life cycle and I highly recommend it!

Sassy: Would you or do you use a PR agency? Why?

Author Jennifer THERIOT : If I had a huge contract with a major publishing house of course I would!

Sassy: What is your favorite positive saying?

Author Jennifer THERIOT : My all-time favorite saying is from Audrey Hepburn: "Nothing is impossible....the word itself says I'm possible"

Sassy: Do you write full-time or part-time?

Author Jennifer THERIOT : I work a full time day job and my writing is done at nights and on weekends.

Sassy: Who designed your book cover/s?



Author Jennifer THERIOT : My first cover was designed by an amazing graphics designer named Travis Drake who I've known since the day he was born. The second cover was photographed by a co-worker, Rhonda Hudnall Lowe (it's her sister and brother-in-law's hands) and the graphics were done by Marya Heiman. The cover for my novella was done by Grafix Momma (JC Clarke). I'm totally in awe of creative people!!!!

Sassy: Do you think that the cover plays an important part in the buying process?

Author Jennifer THERIOT : Absolutely! That is your first chance to grab a reader's attention. I think it's worth every penny to pay a professional to do your covers.

Sassy: What are your thoughts on good/bad reviews?

Author Jennifer THERIOT : When you see a bad review, of course it hurts. My advice is to step back and realize that everyone doesn't see your work as you do. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and as long as the review is written in a constructive way and not a troll attack, you should read and digest it. I've had a couple of nasty reviews that I think were just aimed at me and I make myself feel better by telling myself that those readers aren't deserving to read my characters. I did have an instance where I received a low review from a reader on my first book. She was nice enough to post a constructive review and I really appreciated that. When I released the second book, I took a deep breath and messaged her on Goodreads to see if she was interested in reading the second book. I thanked her for her honesty on book one and she accepted my offer. She messaged me after reading the second book and posted a glowing review!

Sassy: What is your biggest pet peeve?

Author Jennifer THERIOT : Leaving the toilet seat up;)

Sassy: Tell us about your family.

Author Jennifer THERIOT : I've been married 28 years, have 3 grown kids and 3 grandchildren. I'm so proud of my kiddos. They have good jobs, they're responsible adults and each one has the most amazing spouse. I'm so lucky!

Sassy: Does your family support your writing?

Author Jennifer THERIOT : Yes, for the most part - but they think I neglect them. My hubby is pretty much resolved to the fact that I write at night so the laptop comes out as soon as I get home from the office.

Sassy: What is your favorite recipe?Please include it.

Author Jennifer THERIOT : This stuff is so good it's EVIL and fattening! It makes a lot so is good to serve for a party with a salad and garlic bread. It’s my Go-to dish when I want to impress dinner guests.
GOURMET CHICKEN SPAGHETTI
3 lbs. chicken
8 oz. thin spaghetti
4 tbsp. butter
4 tbsp. flour
1 c. cream
1 c. chicken broth
1 c. mayonnaise
1 c. sour cream
1 c. Parmesan cheese 1/8 c. lemon juice
1/3 c. white wine
1/2 tsp. garlic powder 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper 1 tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. salt
8 oz. fresh mushrooms 4 tbsp. butter
Boil and bone chicken. Break spaghetti into thirds and boil in chicken
stock. Make basic white sauce. Melt butter; add flour and cook until
bubbly. Add cream and chicken broth, stirring and cooking until thickened.
Add mayonnaise, sour cream, Parmesan cheese, lemon juice, wine and
seasonings. Saute mushrooms in butter. Place mushrooms, chicken
and spaghetti in flat 3 quart casserole. Add sauce and mix well. Sprinkle
paprika and additional Parmesan on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 40
minutes. May be made ahead of time and frozen. Serves 8 to 10.
Blog:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/JenniferTheriotAuthor
Twitter:  Jennifer Theriot (JenTheRiot) | Twitter
Pinterest:  Jennifer Theriot (jtheriot2000)
Amazon Author Page: Amazon.com: Jennifer Theriot: Books, Biography, Blog, Audiobooks, Kindle
Smashwords: Smashwords – About Jennifer Theriot, author of 'Out of The Box Regifted' and 'Out of
The Box Awakening'
Book Links: (* American, UK, etc.)
AMAZON USA: http://www.amazon.com/Out-The-Awakening-Jennifer-Theriot-ebook/dp/
B00CNX3MU2
AMAZON USA: http://www.amazon.com/Out-The-Regifted-Jennifer-Theriot-ebook/dp/B00JJBPSZS
AMAZON UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jennifer-Theriot/e/B00D8SW61C/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1?
qid=1401505808&sr=8-1
AMAZON UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Box-Regifted-Jennifer-Theriot-ebook/dp/B00JJBPSZS/
ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401505900&sr=8-1&keywords=out+of+the+box+regifted
AMAZON CA: http://www.amazon.ca/Out-Box-Awakening-Jennifer-Theriot-ebook/dp/B00CNX3MU2/
ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402147923&sr=8-1&keywords=out+of+the+box+awakening
AMAZON CA: http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-
keywords=out%20of%20the%20box%20regifted&sprefix=out+of+the+box+r%2Caps&rh=i%3Aaps%
2Ck%3Aout%20of%20the%20box%20regifted
BARNES & NOBLE: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/out-of-the-box-awakening?
keyword=out+of+the+box+awakening&store=nookstore
BARNES & NOBLE: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/out-of-the-box-regifted-jennifer-theriot/
1119080752?ean=2940045805322
SMASHWORDS: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/346048
SMASHWORDS: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/424006
ITUNES: https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/out-of-the-box-awakening/id694909679?mt=11
ITUNES: https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/out-of-the-box-regifted/id853349862?mt=11
GOODREADS LINKS: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/
17901330-out-of-the-box-awakening
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21857790-out-of-the-box-
regifted

No comments:

Post a Comment