Friday, September 26, 2014

My Interview with Author Melanie James

 

Melanie James

Sassy:  What got you into writing / what made you sit down and actually start something?

 

Melanie James new book set

Author Melanie James:  I have always written, it was a matter of actually finishing a story. I have all of these thoughts running around in my head. The more I write, the more the ideas come.

Sassy:    Are you a planner/plotter when it comes to writing a story?

Author Melanie James:  I am.

Sassy:   What has been your highlight since becoming a published author?  

Author Melanie James:  Having a reader tell me that my book helped them through their crappy day or crappy time in their life.

Sassy:   What do you do in your spare time?

Author Melanie James:  Hang out with my kids and husband. I love to go camping, travel, cook, bake, read, biking, swimming. There just aren't enough hours in a day.

Sassy:    Do you get writers block? If so, how do you overcome it?

Author Melanie James:  I am always writing two different stories at one time.  So I will usually flip over to work on the other one, or get up and walk away.

Sassy:   Can you share a little of your most recent book or series with us?

Serious Leigh

Author Melanie James:  Serious Leigh - By Melanie James
Isabel added, “Yes, Leigh, it’s a very important power for us. We got a look at that story that you have started. Let’s see—I have the title written down somewhere.” She shuffled through a small notebook. I ...cringed with embarrassment, because I wasn’t sure if they were going to laugh their asses off at the title I had chosen. “Ah ha! Here it is.” She cleared her throat and then announced it, loud and clear. “Four Bitten Fangtasy.”
There was a crazed cackle and a snort from behind me. I turned my head to see who it was, and there was Esmeralda, the Naughty Librarian. I had no idea that she was still in the room. “You’re kidding, right?” Asked Esmeralda.
“No. No, that is the title she has. I’m sorry you don’t approve, Esmeralda, but we love it.”
“Umm, is there any special reason that you are interested in my story? Because, seriously, it is nothing more than a sort of fan fiction. Well, more like payback against the author of my favorite series. I never intended for it to be anything substantial.”
“Oh, we are all fans of paranormal romance books. I mean, why wouldn’t we be?” They all chuckled.
“Yes. I just love the werewolf books, personally. I can only speak for myself, when I say that I am hoping for a book that finally gets it right. And let me tell you something honey, once you’ve tried werewolf, you’ll have a whole new appreciation for the word stamina!” Isabel said.
“Seriously, Isabel? Werewolves stink and all they want to do is doggy style. Now, let me tell you something, when it comes to fucking around with a werewolf, protection has a whole new meaning.” Marie chimed in.
Hilda joined in. “You’ve got that right sister, a flea collar, that’s the protection you’ll have to insist on. And don’t even get me started on how they lick their own furry balls. Disgusting creatures. They should all be muzzled—and castrated.”
“You witches are harsh! I’m sorry, but I just can’t resist those puppy dog eyes.” Isabel cooed.
I was shocked at the conversation playing out before me. “Wait! You’re saying that werewolves are real? What else? Fairies? Vampires?”

Sassy:    What advice would you give for new authors?

Author Melanie James:  Don't stop writing.

Sassy:  What is one thing about yourself you want your readers to know?

Author Melanie James:  I'm a person... just like you.

Sassy:   Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?

Author Melanie James:  I have so many, Gena Showalter, Kresley Cole, JR Ward, Sherrilynn Kenyon, Karen Marie Moning, and of course Anne Rice. The list goes on and on. Their ability to create stories that hook you instantly.

Sassy:   What books have most influenced your life most?

Author Melanie James:  All books that I read affect me in one way or another, because they make me think deeper about the subject matter.

Sassy:  Would you or do you use a PR agency? Why?

Author Melanie James:  I would yes, it would probably be easier then trying to do everything myself.

Sassy:    What is your favorite positive saying?

Author Melanie James:  Just do it!

Sassy:    Do you write full-time or part-time?

Author Melanie JamesFull-time, but I also work part-time and attend grad school full-time.

Sassy:    Who designed your book covers?

Melanie Jamesbooks1

Author Melanie James: I have two different designers, Dead Pixels and Dreams to Media

Sassy:   Do you think that the cover plays an important part in the buying process?
Author Melanie James:  Absolutely

Sassy:   What are your thoughts on good/bad reviews?

 Author Melanie James:  Reviews are what they are. I can't do anything about them. I don't like every book I read, so I don't expect ev:  ery reader to like me.  It would be nice if people would like time to read the synopsis before buying and criticizing the book. Not every book is made for every reader. Taste is very selective. 

Sassy:    What is your biggest pet peeve?

Author Melanie James:  Chewing with your mouth open! Ughhh drives me nuts!

Sassy:  Tell us about your family.

Author Melanie JamesI am married and have two amazing kids, three step kids and an adorable grandbaby.

Sassy:    Does your family support your writing?

Author Melanie James:  Yes, they are great about it.

Sassy:    What is your favorite recipe?Please include it.

Cheesy Hashbrowns

1 bag of frozen shredded potatoes

1 can of cream of chicken soup

1/4 cup of sour cream

2 cups mild cheddar cheese

1/2 stick of butter

1 small onion, finely diced

1 tsp pepper

1 tsp salt

Mix all ingredients together in a large casserole dish and bake at 425 for 40 minutes stirring every 10 minutes.

Website: www.authormelaniejames.com

Blog:  Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Author-Melanie-James/1408513832726084?focus_composer=true&ref_type=bookmark

Twitter: @autmelaniejames

Pinterest:http://www.pinterest.com/melaniejames526/

Amazon Author Page: http://www.amazon.com/Melanie-James/e/B00I5WFWL2/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1

Smashwords:

Book Links: (* American, UK, etc.)

Serious Leigh
Amazon
US - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M9RNZ7C
Amazon
UK - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00M9RNZ7C?*Version*=1&*entries*=0

1 comment: