Sunday, May 25, 2014

Review Obsidian Wings by Laken Cane

 Gruesome murders begin to pop up in River County, and Rune is introduced to the bird shifters--to one bird in particular, a woman named Cree Stark. 


When she gets a whiff of the shifters' scents where COS had been executing a grisly sacrifice, Rune begins to suspect the birds know more about the slayers--and the twins--than they're willing to admit. 

Nothing is more important to Shiv Crew than finding Levi and Denim, but when Lex psychically connects with the twins, it isn't good news she brings back. 

As always, COS is at the center of it all. 

The world is beginning to look at the church differently, thanks to the tireless work of Bill Rice and others like him. The humans' acceptance is turning to fear. 

And what people fear, they hate. 

What the slayers are planning next will either finish them for good or give them everything they've ever wanted--Karin Love and unchallenged power. 

Rune and the crew race against time to save River County from the biggest monster they've faced yet. 
If they fail, the church will be closer than ever to their dream of creating an Otherless world. 

In Obsidian Wings, Rune hides a devastating physical weakness, makes an important choice in her love life, and gains a new understanding that will help her face the future. 

No matter what happens, their world is changing. 
The crew is growing. 

And so is Rune Alexander.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 Laken Cane is the pseudonym of a paranormal romance writer living in the Midwest. Her debut book, Shiv Crew, is a dark urban fantasy and is followed by Blood and Bite, book two, and Strange Trouble, book three. Book four, Obsidian Wings, is a work in progress. Places you can find Laken: Facebook: www.facebook.com/laken.cane.3 Twitter: @lakencane Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/lakencane You can also find her Amazon page at http://amzn.to/1fTXrto
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I tried to put off reading this book, not because I’m tired of the series or anything, but because I didn't want to finish. It’s the last book so far in the series (the fifth hasn't come out yet) and I totally wasn't ready for Rune’s adventure to end yet. Inevitably, I did end up reading it and I devoured it in only a couple hours. It was as amazing as I had expected it to be. Laken Cane has a way with words. Her characters are gritty and real. Rune is definitely one of my favorite characters, in any book I've pretty much ever read. She’s right up there with Anita Blake. So this book starts out with some pretty gruesome murders. It’s pretty clear from the get go that it’s the Church of Slayers (COS). But the COS throws the crew for a loop. The murder victims are shifters and the COS are human, so they’re not strong enough on their own; they've been getting Others to help. So, not only does Rune and the Shiv Crew have to find COS, but they have to find the traitors too. Rune ends up getting kidnapped by the COS and you really get to see how sick and depraved they are. It shows that humans can be sick and evil. The Shiv Crew’s boss starts to show the world and shows the humans what the COS is really capable of. I can hopefully see the end of COS coming soon, but I’m sure they won’t go down without more of a bang. Rune is still insecure with herself and her choices but she manages to push past her insecurities and get the job done. I have huge hopes for Rune. I hope she’ll finally figure out that she can’t save anyone and you can’t always make the right decision. Again, like the third book, this one has tons of action. You barely have time to breathe but it’s amazingly done. I can see Rune and the crew growing as well as knitting closer together. They’re all inevitably changed by the COS and it’s not necessarily a bad thing, especially when the horrors of the kidnapping are exposed. The bird shifters are introduced in this book and I really have to say . . . I hated them. They had no emotions, no sense of right or wrong, it was unnerving. I thought I hated Cree (a banished bird shifter) but at the end of the book you find out her reasoning for doing what she did. I still didn't like her but I didn't hate her anymore. I felt pity towards her. But the Crew battles on and they are left alive and, mostly intact, for their next adventure. One that I’m anxiously awaiting. I really hope that it isn’t too long of a wait for book five, but anticipation makes it that much sweeter when it is finally released.

 

Ashley gave Obsidian Wings

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment