Thursday, October 30, 2014

My Interview With Author Diana Marie DuBois







Sassy: What got you into writing / what made you sit down and actually start something?

 Author Diana Marie DuBois : A friend of mine was in a popular Role Playing group on facebook and I was allowed as the first ‘human’ ever to enter their home. I interviewed the people as the characters they played for my blog. After I’d posted the interview I was told I should try out, that I was a natural. Never ever did I think I was a writer. But, with lots of encouragement I tried out and later became part of the family.  As I would read my Storylines to my dad he would tell me that it was great. Though he never could understand why I was writing fan fiction for someone else. I needed to write my own stories he would tell me. So after a few months of him telling me this, I did sit down and by the time he left I had about 1,000 words written down.

Sassy: Are you a planner/panster when it comes to writing a story?

 Author Diana Marie DuBois : Haha I’m such a panster. I usually just write what my characters tell me and change things here and there depending on which way the story goes. But with a novella I did have to write an outline to make sense. I will tell you this when Marie Laveau wakes me up to give me a scene or dialogue, I listen to her. Hehehe.

Sassy: What has been your highlight since becoming a published author?

Author Diana Marie DuBois  : Since I’m not published yet, I don’t have one. But I have gotten compliments on my stories. One in particular, I was told by an author I met at ARC, my ideas were unique and for me to hurry and publish.

Sassy: What do you do in your spare time?

Author Diana Marie DuBois  : Spare time, what’s that. Hahaha Well, I like to read and read everything I can. Of course I visit New Orleans which is a huge inspiration for my stories.

Sassy: Do you get writers block? If so, how do you overcome it?

Author Diana Marie DuBois  : I actually have writers block now. A certain character has been quiet lately, just waiting for him to start talking again. So I can finish his book. I was told by an author that if you ever have a bout of writer’s block, just sit down and write this sentence.... Dear your name... This is what you don’t know about me. She swears it works. So I will be trying that.



 Sassy: Can you share a little of your most recent book or series with us?

Author Diana Marie DuBois  : Let’s see, it's about a girl who finds out she is a witch only to realize her sexy boyfriend has a terrible secret, one sadly he doesn't even know about. Toss in a handful of a magical Great Dane, a pinch of evil and a dash of Marie Laveau and stir. I hope y'all will enjoy the first book in my series Voodoo Vows.

Sassy: What advice would you give for new authors?

Author Diana Marie DuBois : Learn, learn learn everything you possibly can from others, but be careful what advice you take. And always remember this is your book, your baby so stand your ground when it’s important to you. Another thing, it take a village to get your book out so respect those who help you out.

 Sassy: What is one thing about yourself you want your readers to know?

 Author Diana Marie DuBois : I want them to know that I write not only for myself but also for the public and I want them to enjoy reading my book as much as I enjoyed writing it.

 Sassy: Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?

 Author Diana Marie DuBois: Actually, I have two favorites. Anne Rice and Ernest J Gaines. Both are able to make you feel as if you are in the pages of the books sitting with the characters themselves. Anne Rice has a way of writing her characters that today still send a chill to crawl up and down my spine whenever I am in New Orleans at night. Ernest J Gaines’s writing is cohesive and when I read A Gathering of Old Men I felt for these characters, I wanted to save them.

 Sassy: What books have most influenced your life most?

 Author Diana Marie DuBois: I would have to say hands down Interview with the vampire. Anne Rice made vampires cool and if not for her I don’t think we would have the vampire craze we do now. Also Farenheit 451 because the idea of burning books and the thought of someone telling me I can’t read certain books infuriates me.

Sassy: Would you or do you use a PR agency? Why?

 Author Diana Marie DuBois: If the time arises yes I would use one. I think they would be able to get my book out some more. But we all know the way to actually succeed is word of mouth.

 Sassy: What is your favorite positive saying?

 Author Diana Marie DuBois : Most anything from Winnie the Pooh. LOL But my favorite is
“Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. Christopher Robin to Pooh A. A. Milne

Sassy: Do you write full-time or part-time?

Author Diana Marie DuBois : Unfortunately I have a day job which may I add is a great place for research. I’m an assistant librarian, so I don't write full time.

 Sassy: Who designed your book cover/s?

Author Diana Marie DuBois  : Anya Kelleye who is family to me. I bring her an idea and honestly as many times as I’ve changed a cover a day or two later, I’m surprised she still works with me. Hahahaha She is extremely patient and an angel to work with.

 Sassy: Do you think that the cover plays an important part in the buying process?

Author Diana Marie DuBois  : I actually do. It’s the first thing people see of your book. It should encompass what is inside the pages. It should draw the reader to want to pick your book up.

Sassy: What are your thoughts on good/bad reviews?

Author Diana Marie DuBois  : At first I was nervous about bad reviews, but I know deep down not everyone will like it. But, if a few people do love it and write a review then I am good. I remember one time a friend of mine was upset she had her first bad review and someone responded well now you’ve made it. So I will look at it from that point of view.

 Sassy: What is your biggest pet peeve?

Author Diana Marie DuBois  : People not being thankful for what they have.

Sassy: Tell us about your family.

Author Diana Marie DuBois  : My family is the best. I know everyone says that but they are. My parents are there for me no matter what. I have six beautiful fur babies who I love dearly. Don’t be surprised if you see them in future books. My oldest Great Dane who recently passed away is the muse for Athena.

Sassy: Does your family support your writing?

 Author Diana Marie DuBois : Most definitely.

Sassy: What is your favorite recipe? Please include it.

Author Diana Marie DuBois : Pralines and yes they are mentioned in the book.

Ingredients:

 1 cup granulated sugar

 1 cup packed brown sugar

 1/2 cup evaporated milk

 4 tbsp butter, cubed

 2 tsp vanilla extract

 1.5 cups toasted pecans, coarsely chopped

Preparation:

1. Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with aluminum foil and spraying the foil with nonstick cooking

spray.

2. In a medium saucepan combine the brown sugar, granulated sugar, and evaporated milk over

medium heat. Stir until the sugar dissolves, then insert a candy thermometer.

3. Cook the candy, stirring occasionally, until the candy reaches 240 degrees on the thermometer.

4. Once the proper temperature is reached, remove the pan from the heat and drop the chunks of

butter on top, but do not stir. Allow the pan to sit for one minute.

5. After a minute, add the vanilla extract and the pecans, and begin to stir smoothly and constantly with

a wooden spoon. Soon the candy will begin to get thicker and lighter in color.

6. Continue to stir until the candy starts to hold its shape. It should still be easy to stir, however. It is

important not to stir too much, as pralines quickly go from fluid to rock-solid. Once it is a lighter, opaque

brown and holds its shape, quickly begin to drop small spoonfuls of the candy onto the prepared baking

sheet.

7. Work quickly to form the candies, as the pralines will start to set in the saucepan. If the candy stiffens

before you’re done scooping, add a spoonful of very hot water and stir until it loosens, then continue

scooping until you have formed all the pralines.

8. Allow the candy to fully set at room temperature, for about 30 minutes. Store New Orleans Pralines in an airtight container at room temperature.

Website: www.dianamariedubois.com

Blog: www.dianaslagniappebooks.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/diana.m.dubois

Twitter: https://twitter.com/DianaMDuBois

Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/dianamdubois/

Amazon Author Page: http://www.amazon.com/Diana-Marie-DuBois/e/B00O97TWUO/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1?qid=1414420159&sr=8-1

Instagram: http://instagram.com/dianamariedubois

Smashwords:

Book Links: (* American, UK, etc.)

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/7690662.Diana_Marie_DuBois

No comments:

Post a Comment